Literally everyone said it. "really enjoy these next four years because before you know it, it will be over." as a freshman going into college you hear that and you are like okay whatever. You get to experience your trial into adulthood, away from your parents but not quite old enough to be out in the world fully by yourself.
The beginning stages of adulthood are so new and exciting you are not prepared for when the exposition leads to conflict.
As a rising senior in college it truly felt like the past three years in college were the exposition part of my story as I were to follow Freytag's Pyramid of Story Structure. I set the tone of who I am as a person and got a sense of what it is like to live independently, now we are going into the rising action, which is me trying to find a job post grad. You genuinely blink and it's over, so when a family member, friend, or teacher tells you the next four years of your life will be the quickest of your life, believe them and do not take a single second for granted. Get involved on campus, apply for that job, speak up in class, do everything. It sounds easier than it is in practice, trust me, I know, but my single piece of advice for anyone starting college in the fall it is to PUT YOURSELF OUT THERE. I will be taking my own advice going into my senior year, since it will be my last year I will be going out and talking to new people, no more staying in and bed rotting.
Now going into the conflict side of Freytag's Pyramid of Story Structure, today I sat at my desk at my internship and got so stressed out because I realized I was going to be a senior and I had no idea what I was going to be doing post grad. I literally sat and used company time to scroll through LinkedIn for more than an hour. Having spent that time stressed about my future I realized another thing, this would be the last year me and all my friends will be in the same state. I could stress about the future all I wanted but I cannot change what it is, the future. I need to focus on the now and cherish every moment for how it is presented to me. This is not to say I am just giving up on trying to find a job, obviously that is still very important to me, and I will be applying when applications open, but I can decide if that stress will take over my life or not. I am still young, I still have the ability to hang out with friends while balancing work, applications, and school.
The moral of this story is to live your life, breathe air, and know somehow your gonna get there and it will be so wonderful.
seeing my same thought process and worries being written by someone at a different point in their life is actually so comforting, this was a MUCH needed read <3
ReplyDelete